(Avoid Table salt and use only powdered crystal salt for all pickles)
3. Red chilly powder – 50 gms
10. Add red chilly powder.
12. Stir well and enjoy with curd rice.
HOG PLUM PICKLE (Amtekai)
The preparation of Hog plum pickle is similar to Vadu mangai or baby mango pickle.
8. Asafoetida powder - 1/4 tsp
1. Wash and wipe the hog plums thoroughly.
3. Allow it to stand for 4 or 5 days till the hog plums start floating in a large volume of brine.
All pickles taste better as they age.
When the pickle settles, a thin film of oil should stand on the top protecting it from molds. Enjoy with curd rice, chapattis, dosas, bread or any other dish of your choice.
RAW MANGO PICKLE
10. Stir well after it is thoroughly cooled and store in a clean and dry air tight jar.
Enjoy the hot and pungent spicy pickle with curd rice. It can even be relished with steaming hot rice.
GOOSEBERRY PICKLE IN CURD
SWEET AND SOUR MANGO PICKLE
Enjoy it with bread, dosas or chapaties and poories.
SALTED LIME AND GREEN CHILLY PICKLE
8. Shake all the ingredients together and store in a clean dry bottle.
In days of yore these lovely 'Oorugai jadis' or ceramic pickle jars were used for storing pickles for the large sized joint families, and they lasted for the whole year. Nowadays they have become antique pieces used in interior decoration or as garden ornaments.