I wanted to prepare a quick and simple sweet to celebrate, and here comes my first dish from my Sydney kitchen – BEET ROOT HALWA. INGREDIENTS:
Beet root (moderate size) – 4
Sugar - 4 tbsps
Ghee – 2tbsps
Evaporated milk- ½ cup
(One cup of whole milk can be boiled and reduced to ½ cup.)
Cardamom powder – 1 pinch
Cashew nuts – 4 (finely chopped)
1. Wash and remove the top and tail portion of beet roots and pressure cook them whole.
2. Allow to cool and then peel off the skin, which comes out easily.
3. Grate the beetroot and keep aside.
4. Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in a thick bottomed pan, add the cooked and grated beet root, and fry till it gives out a pleasant aroma.
5. Add the evaporated milk and cook till the vegetable and milk blend and become thicker.
6. Add sugar and cook till all the sugar syrup is absorbed.
7. Add the remaining ghee and cook till the halwa leaves the sides of the pan.
8. Mix in the cardamom powder and decorate with the chopped nuts.
Enjoy halwa hot or cold, with a slice of your favourite ice cream if you like.