Bonda is a versatile dish which can easily fit into any meal plan.It is a star among the many side dishes served with lunch or dinner on festive occasions . It is served as an evening snack (tiffin) with coffee in weddings. It is a non messy dish which comes in handy to welcome guests. It is a much sought after starter in parties. Children love this snack when served at their birthday parties.
Each region comes out with a specific recipe for preparing delicious Bondas. Here are a few of the most common ones which I prepare at home
3. Mix salt into the lime juice in a cup and keep aside.
4. Heap chilly powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder on top of the crumbled potatoes at one point.
5. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
6. When the mustard splutters add cashew nuts and roast them to a golden colour.
7. Add cumin seeds, grated ginger and then the curry leaves followed by asafoetida.
8. Pour the hot oil and seasoning over the heap of spice powders on the potato.
9. Add salt and lime juice mixture, chopped coriander leaves and blend well.
10. Make lemon size balls out of the potato filling and keep aside.
INGREDIENTS FOR BATTER
Besan ( Bengal gram dal flour) - 2 cups
Rice flour - 1 tbsp
Chilly powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Curds - 1 tbsp
oil - for frying
1. Blend all the ingredients together except oil, adding the required amount of water to make a thick batter.
2. Heat 2 table spoons of oil separately and pour into the batter and blend well.
3. Allow the batter to stand for 20 minutes.
4. Heat the oil in a kadai for frying the bondas.
5.Coat a potato ball completely with the batter by dipping it into the prepared batter, and drop it gently into the hot oil.
6. Drop in 6 to 8 batter coated potato balls into the hot oil and reduce flame.
7. Splash hot oil on top of the bondas using the perforated ladle.
8. Gently cook the bondas turning them over now and then until they become golden brown in colour.
9. Remove when done and drain on a paper towel.
Relish the sizzling hot Bombay Bondas with mint chutney or any other chutney or sauce of your choice.