MAVINA HANNINA SASIVAE
It is a wonder that mangoes, both raw and ripe can be cooked into both sweet and spicy mouth watering dishes. Here is a dish which I prepared using ripe mangoes ( mavina hannu - Kannada ) and mustard seeds (sasivae - Kannada). The dish tastes good with firm ripe and pulpy mangoes with out fibers. The sweet, spicy and pungent dish was a great hit at home.
Ripe mangoes (cubed) - 2 cups
Mango pulp ( juice) - 1/2 cup
(The above can be obtained by squeezing the mango seed dry after cutting out the cubes.)
Grated coconut - 1 cup
Mustard seeds - 2 tbsps + 1 pinch for seasoning
Black pepper - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
Tamarind - the size of a small marble(soaked)
Grated jaggery - 1/4 cup
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Salt - 1 1/2 tsp
Oil - 2 tsps
1. Dry roast mustard seeds till they crackle and give out a good aroma.
2. Grind fresh coconut gratings with roasted mustard seeds, pepper, cumin seeds, chilly powder, soaked tamarind, jaggery and asafoetida into a fine paste.
3. Heat oil in a pan and season with mustard seeds.
4. When the mustard seeds crackle add the ripe mango cubes and saute for two minutes without mashing them.
5. Add the ground paste , mango juice and salt.
6. Let the Sasivae boil ( add a cup of water if needed) until all the flavours blend and reaches a gravy like consistency.
Enjoy the lip smacking dish to start a meal, through the meal and even after finishing your meal!