Wednesday, August 11, 2010
HITUKU BELAE KUNUKKU
Kunukku is a savoury dish prepared with ADAI ( a rice and lentil pancake) dough, rather with the left over Adai dough. This dish can be prepared even otherwise for it has a delicious and crunchy outer coat and the inside has the texture of Uppma. A handful of Hitukubelae ( this lentil is obtained by soaking the fresh field beans and then pinching them out of their husks) added to the dough makes the Kunukku a real delicacy.
Rice - 1 cup
Tur dal- 1/2 cup
Bengal gram dal - 1/2 cup
Split black gram dal - 1 tbsp
Red chillies - 4
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Curry leaves - a few
Coconut pieces/ gratings - 2 tbsps
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Hituku belae - 1/2 cup
Oil - for frying
1. Wash and soak all the dals with rice and red chillies for one hour.
2. Grind the soaked ingredients coarsely without adding water. The thick batter will have the texture of soaked semolina.
3. Mix in salt, curry leaves, asafoetida, field beans and the coconut gratings. If coconut pieces are used, they can be added to the dough in the last stage of grinding.
4. Heat oil in a kadai and drop the batter with the help of a tea spoon to make eight to ten Kunukkus at a time.
5. Fry the Kunukkus to a golden brown colour and drain them on a paper towel.
Enjoy the Hituku Belae Kunukku with coconut chutney or tomato ketchup.