Tuesday, November 2, 2010
Inji Murabba is pickled ginger and it can be savoured before a feast as an appetizer or relished as a digestive after a feast. It is very good to have it handy during the Deepavali festival which is great benging time with so many sweets and savouries being prepared and exchanged among friends and relatives.
Peeled and sliced fresh ginger - 1 cup
Sugar - 1 cup
Salt - 1/2 pinch
Turmeric powder - 1/4 pinch
Juice of fresh lime - 1 tsp
1. Cook the peeled and sliced ginger in 1 1/2 cups of water and salt till it becomes tender.
2. Add sugar and cook till the syrup reaches one thread consistency.
3. Add turmeric powder, stir well and cook for one more minute.
4. Switch off flame and add the lime juice.
5. Stir well and store in a bottle when thoroughly cooled.
( If you prefer a dry murabba or ginger candy continue cooking till the syrup starts crystallizing, and avoid the lime juice.)
Enjoy the spicy hot sting of the ginger along with the lemony sweet sugar syrup and feel the attack of hunger pangs in your tummy soon after!