Wednesday, December 15, 2010
COCONUT MILK RICE
Coconut rice is a very tasty common South Indian preparation. We make a mildly sweetish aromatic variation during Christmas, by using coconut milk., cashews and raisins. It is very aromatic, and can be served with tasty kurmas!
Basmati rice - 1 cup
Freshly extracted coconut milk - 2 and 1/4 cups
(The method of extracting coconut milk easily is given in the previous post on Dodol.)
Finely chopped onion - 2 tbsps
Cashew nuts - 1/4 cup
Raisins - 1/4 cup
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon - 1" piece ( Break into tiny bits)
Cardamom - 2
Cloves - 4
Oil -2 tbsps
Ghee - 1 tsp
1. Wash and soak the rice for at least half an hour.
2. Finely chop onions.
3. Heat 2 tbsps of oil and one teaspoon spoon of ghee in a heavy bottomed pan.
4. Add Cinnamon, cardamom and cloves.
5. Add cashew nuts and onion and fry till they become golden in colour.
6. Add raisins; drain rice and add it next.
7. Keep stirring till all the moisture evaporates and the rice gives out a pleasant aroma.
8. Add the coconut milk and stir in the salt.
9. When the milk starts to boil, turn down the flame to low and cover the pan with a lid.
10. In fifteen minutes time when the aroma of coconut rice fills the atmosphere, remove lid and gently stir once and cover it again with lid.
Turn off flame after five more minutes, and enjoy the steaming hot flavoursome coconut milk rice as it is or with any spicy curry of your choice.