Cooking oil - 2 tsps
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Split blackgram dal - 1 tsp
Pea nuts - 2 tbsps
Red chillies ( broken ) - 2
Curry leaves - a few
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Turmeric powder - 1 pinch
Salt - 2 pinches
FreshCoconut gratings - 2 tbsps
2. Use the cut cap of the vegetable and rub the exposed end of the cucumber with circular motions.This will remove any bitterness in the cucumber. Repeat on the other end and throw away the cucumber caps.
3. Wash again to remove the froth caused by rubbing and cut the cucumbers into cubes along with the peel.
4. Discard the seeds if they are too hard. But if the seeds are tender they can be retained.
5. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
6. When the mustard seeds splutter add blackgram dal and roast till golden in colour.
7. Add ground nuts and let them crack.
8. Stir in broken red chillies followed by asafoetida.
9. Now add the cucumber.
11. Open the lid and keep stirring now and then till the cucumbers are cooked but crisp.