When the mind clicks on the word TANJAVOOR, the magnificent picture of PERIA KOIL or BRIGADEESWARA temple looms before my eyes. My next thought associated with Tanjavoor is Hotel Karthik where we had halted for a coffee break during one of our visits. Our ears pricked up at the mention of “special cashew dosai” when the bearer rattled out a long list of available dishes.
We waited for our order, all the while guessing what this dosa was all about, though we knew that cashews and ‘gundu milagais’ (a small round variety of chillies) were Tanjavoor specialties. Dibs who was only twelve years of age then even wondered whether they would have ground the batter with cashew nuts!
Though the innovative special dosai surprised us it was really delicious with the accompaniment of sambar and chutney.
Raw rice - 3 cups (a cup = 200 grams)
Black gram dal – 1 cup
Hard beaten rice – 1 tbsp
Fenugreek seeds – ½ tsp
Salt – 1.5 tsps
Tur dal – 1 tsp
Sugar – 1 pinch
(The last two are secret ingredients which lend the flavour and colour of “Hotel Dosais")
1. Soak rice, urad dal, tur dal, fenugreek seeds, and beaten rice for two hours.
2. Grind to a smooth paste.
3. Mix in salt and sugar.
4. Cover and let it ferment over night.
Cashew nuts – 100 gms (roasted or raw)
Green chillies – 2(minced)
Grated fresh ginger – ½ tsp
Minced coriander and curry leaves – 2 tbsps
Mix all the ingredients and keep aside.
1. Grease and heat the tava.
2. Pour a small tbsp of batter, dribble little oil and cook the first testing dosa.
3. Making sure that the tava is evenly heated pour a ladle full of batter on the center of the tava.
4. Leave a palm size of batter in the middle and spread the batter thinly around the circumference.
5. When small holes start appearing sprinkle a generous portion of the cashew topping mixture on the central thick portion of the dosa.
6. Dribble oil around the dosa and cover only the central portion with a small lid.
7. Cook until the golden colour of the roast is visible around the lid.
8. Remove the lid and dribble a spoon of ghee on the dosa.
Enjoy the flavoursome Tanjavoor special cashew dosai with coconut chutney and onion sambar.