Podalangai (snake gourd) pachadi is an oft prepared dish in our house. The tender green colour and the juicy soft crunch of the vegetable lends a special taste to the pachadi. We love to relish this pachadi with vattal kuzhambu and rice.
Tender snake gourd without fibers (Chopped) - 2 cups
Fresh thick Curds - 2 cups
Fresh coconut gratings - 4tbsps
Green chillies - 2
Salt - 1 pinch
Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - a few
Coconut oil - 1 tbsp
1. Wash and chop the snakegourd along with its tender seeds into small uniform pieces.
2. Boil the chopped snakegourd in just enough water with 1/2 a pinch of salt till it is cooked but not mushy.
3. Drain the vegetable and set it aside to cool. Save the drained water to be used in other dishes.
4. Grind coconut gratings and green chillies into a smooth paste adding a little water.
5. Blend the paste, 1/2 a pinch of salt and the thick curds together and mix into the cooked and cooled snake gourd.
6. Heat coconut oil and add the whole black pepper.
7. When the pepper cracks add cumin seeds and switch off flame.
8. Add curry leaves into the seasoning and pour over the Podalangai Pachadi.
Relish the aroma of the seasoning and the luscious pachadi with any 'variety rice' you like.