" If it is Pongal, it is Pongal!"
This was the reply I got from most of my relatives and friends,when I enquired them about what was going to be their Pongal Special. I was greatly excited when one friend mentioned to me about SUNNUNDALU. She said that her children and grand children relished this nutritious laddu prepared out of black gram dal, and it was a special dish prepared during feastivals back at Andhra, her native place.
Her recipe was very short and sweet. The Sunnundalu I prepared tasted delicious, though I had used only the basic minimum ingredients.
Crushed jaggery -1 cup
Ghee - 2 tbsps
2. Cool the roasted dal thoroughly.
3. Grind into a moderately coarse powder using the mixer.
4. Add the crushed jaggery and run the mixer for one more minute.
5. Spread the dal and jaggery blend in a deep plate.
6. Warm up the ghee and mix one spoon into a portion of the dal jaggery mix, and make laddus.
7. Keep mixing in warm ghee little by little and keep making laddus till the entire dal jaggery mixture is used up.