Sunday, April 17, 2011
The temple towns of Tamil Nadu especially in Tanjore District, are famous for their exotic dishes with their queer names. Kumbakonam Kadappa is one such dish conjured up with vegetables, lentils and super flavoursome spices. As you travel through the busy lanes of the town the aroma from the small and big eating hubs tickles your taste buds and activates the digestive juices. The fire is satiated only when doused with the awesome kadappa served with idlies and dosas !
Green gram dal - 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder - 1 pinch
Potato - 1 big
Carrots - 2 ( chopped )
String beans - a handful ( chopped )
Tomato - 1 big ( Chopped )
Onion - 1 ( sliced )
Green chilly - 2 ( Cut into big pieces )
Fresh ginger - 1'' piece ( Finely chopped )
Curry leaves - a few
Cashew nuts - 1 tbsp
Chopped fresh coriander leaves - for garnishing
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Cooking oil - 2 tbsps
salt - 1 1/2 tsps
INGREDIENTS FOR GRINDING
Fresh coconut gratings - 2 tbsps
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cashew nuts - 1 tbsp
Cardamoms - 3
Cinnamon - 1'' stick
Cloves - 6
Sambar powder - 1/2 tsp ( I use my home made sambar powder )
1. Pressure cook green gram dal adding turmeric powder .
2. Pressure cook potato along with the dal in a different separator.
3. Cook chopped carrots and chopped beans separately to avoid them becoming mushy.
4. Grind all the INGREDIENTS FOR GRINDING adding little water into a slightly coarse paste.
5. Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds.
6. Add sliced onions, green chillies, ginger and curry leaves.
7. Saute till onions become transparent.
8. Stir in the ground paste and cook for 2 minutes.
9. Add chopped tomatoes and cooked carrots and beans.
10. Add peeled and crumbled potatoes and stir well.
11. Add the pressure cooked mushy dal and salt.
12 . Simmer for a few more minutes till you get a pleasant aroma.
13. Garnish with roasted cashewnuts and fresh coriander leaves.
Enjoy the mouthwatering flavoursome Kumbakonam Kadappa with idlies or dosas. We relished it with pudina paratas. The aroma of the dish filled the entire house though I had omitted garlic and fennel seeds, since my family did not prefer a strong flavour.