Tuesday, August 16, 2011
BADAM POORIE PAAYASAM
The name ''Krishna" brings to ones mind His picture as a baby and the heart brims with love for the Divine Baby. Baby Krishna like all babies is expected to love sweets and savouries . There is no limit to the varieties of favourite dishes prepared by His indulgent devotees to celebrate His birthday. Any thing offered with love and devotion is Krishna's favourite.
Starting with Paayasam here are five of His numerous favourites prepared with love to celebrate Sri Krishna
Janmaashtami - His birthday.
The rest of the recipes will follow in subsequent posts.
Wheat flour - 1 cup
Rice flour - 1 tbsp
Salt - 1/2 pinch
Almonds - 10
Ghee - 1 tsp
Milk - 4 cups
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Saffron strands - a few
Cardamom powder - 1 pinch
Oil - For frying
1. Soak almonds in warm water, remove skin and grind to a smooth paste adding little water.
2. Mix wheat flour,rice flour and salt and rub in the ghee.
3. When the flour becomes like crumbs add almond paste and mix well.
4. Add water little by little and knead it into a stiff dough.
5. Boil milk for four minutes until it spreads its pleasant aroma, add saffron strands and switch off flame.
6. Add sugar after a little while.
7. Roll out the dough into slightly thick chapaties using the rolling pin and cut them into small diamond shapes.
8. Heat oil and fry the 'diamonds' until crisp and golden brown in colour.
9. Drain on a paper napkin and add the fried 'diamonds' to the warm sweetened milk.
Sprinkle cardamom powder and offer it to the sweet divine baby and savour the prasaadam.