Friday, August 26, 2011
Lord Ganesha is Vigna Vinaashaka ( destroyer of hurdles ). The elephant faced Child with elephantine strength to match, destroys all the obstacles encountered by His devotees.A nourishing Sundal is an apt prasaadam which can be offered to the Lord on Ganesha Chturti day.
Mostly Kadalai (Chickpea) Sundal prasaadam is distributed in leaf cups / paper cups in all the pendaals which mushroom through out the city to celebrate the festival of Lord Ganesha. Here is a recipe for a very healthy and nutritious Soya Sundal which can be offered to Lord Ganesha.
Dry soya beans - 1 cup
Green chillies - 2
Ginger - 1'' piece
Fresh coriander leaves - 1/2 bunch
Turmeric powder - 1 pinch
Salt 1/2 tsp
Oil - 2 tsps
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Split black gram dal - 1/2 tsp
Red chillies - 2
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Fresh coconut gratings - 2 tbsps
Lime - one small
1. Soak soya beans for 24 hours changing the water at least twice during the soaking time.
2. Wash the soya beans, add 1/2 cup of water and cook in a pressure cooker until three whistles.
3. Grind green chillies, ginger, turmeric powder and coriander leaves into a paste adding little water if necessary.
4. Heat oil and add mustard seeds.
5.When the mustard splutters add the split black gram dal.
6. When the dals turns golden in colour add broken red chillies and asafoetida.
7. Add the ground paste and saute till you get a pleasant aroma.
8. Drain the cooked beans and add it to the seasoning.
9. Add salt and cook till the sundal becomes dry.
10. Squeeze in lime juice and switch off flame.
11. Mix well and garnish with fresh coconut gratings.
Offer the nutritious Soya Sundal to Lord Ganesha and savour the prasaadam.