Sunday, August 28, 2011
Ganesha is Lambodara - the pot bellied one. Apart from the hundreds of sweets and savouries offered to Him by His devotees, the Chubby Baby loves fruits, vegetables, roots and tubers too.Sweet potato and Tapioca are supposed to be His favourite root vegetables.
Jevvarisi / Sago is manufactured using the tapioca root. Ganesha will be most pleased with the sweet Jevvarisi Paayasam prepared out of His favourite tapioca.
Sago - 1 cup
Crushed jaggery - 1 cup
Boiled and reduced milk or thick coconut milk - 2 cups
Saffron - a few strands
Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
Pachche karpoora ( edible camphor ) - 1 small flake
Cashew nuts - a few
Raisins - a few
Ghee - 2 tbsps
1. Dry roast the sago till it pops up.
2. Wash the roasted sago and drain the water.
3.Cover it with a lid and allow it to soften for about half an hour.
4. Dissolve jaggery in 2 1/2 cups of water and filter.
5. Boil the jaggery water till it emanates a very pleasant aroma.
6. Add the softened sago to the jaggery water and cook till it thickens.
7. Add saffron strands, powdered cardamom and camphor and switch off flame.
8. Stir in the milk / coconut milk.
9. Heat ghee and fry the cashew nuts and raisins till golden in colour and add it to the paayasam.
Allow the paayasam to set in a bowl or in small individual bowls. Offer the thick Jevvarisi Paayasam to Lord Ganesha and enjoy the prasaadam.