KADALAEKAI KHAARA HUSLI
A visit to a Navaraatri Kolu used to be an exciting outing for the womenfolk of yore as it gave them an opportunity to dress up in all their traditional finery. It also give them a platform to show case their talent in music and dance.
Children dressed up as their favourite mythological characters visited their friends and relatives not only to behold the grand display of dolls but also to indulge in the sundal prasaadams given to them in each and every house.
Most children love peanuts.Here is a Navaraatri Giveaway Prasaadam prepared using peanuts.
Peanuts - 2 cups
Coriander seeds - 2 tbsps
Bengal gram dal - 2 tbsps
Red chillies - 4
Split black gram dal - 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Oil - 2 tbsps
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - a few
Turmeric powder - 1 pinch
Salt - 3/4 tsp
Lime juice - 1 tbsp
Fresh coconut gratings - 4 tbsps
1. Soak the peanuts in boiling water for half an hour.
2.Heat 1/2 tsp of oil and add coriander seeds, Bengal gram dal, black gram dal and red chillies and roast till they become golden in colour .
3. Add asafoetida and roast for a few more seconds till you get a pleasant aroma and switch off flame. Allow it to cool down.
4. Grind the roasted ingredients into a slightly coarse powder and keep aside.
5.Heat the remaining oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
6. When it splutters add curry leaves followed by turmeric powder.
7. Drain and add the now bloated up peanuts and saute till dry.
8. Blend salt and one and a half tbsps of the ground spice powder. ( Store the remaining powder in a dry container for future use).
9.Switch off flame and mix in the juice of lime.
10. Garnish with fresh coconut gratings.
Offer the delicious Nilakkadalai Kaara Sundal to Mother Goddess and distribute it among the eager children.