Giveaway Prasaadams For NAVARAATRI KOLU - Pachai Payaru Vella Sundal - Whole Green Gram Cooked With Jaggery
HESARUKAALU BELLADA HUSLI
This is another sweet sundal prepared using jaggery. The addition of salt and chillies enhance the taste of this sweet sundal and it is a welcome change after all the salty and lemony sundals.
THIS IS A GLASS PAINTING OF GODDESS LAKSHMI IN THE DOME OF THE BAND STAND IN A PARK AT MYSORE.THANKS TO GUHAN FOR THE PHOTO.
THE LIFE SIZE WOODEN DOLLS DRESSED UP AS A COUPLE ARE CALLED NALAGOWRIS.THEY HAVE FLEXIBLE JOINTS AND DETACHABLE BODY PARTS.THEY CAN BE DRESSED UP AND ARRANGED IN ANY POSTURE.THANKS TO SAVITHRI AND PRANAV FOR THE PICTURE.
Whole green gram - 2 cups
Powdered jaggery - 3/4 cup
Salt - 1/2 a pinch
Oil - 2 tsps
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - a few
Broken red chillies - 2
Fresh coconut gratings - 4 tbsps
1. Dry roast green gram till it gives out a pleasant aroma.
2. Switch off flame, add water and soak the green gram for half an hour.
3. Wash the soaked green gram, add fresh water and boil it.
4. Pinch one grain to check if it is cooked. The green gram should be soft enough to break easily, but it should not become mushy.
5. Add salt and boil for two more minutes and drain.
6. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
7. When the mustard seeds splutter add the broken red chillies, curry leaves and then the cooked and drained green gram.
8. Add powdered jaggery and blend well on low flame.
9. Allow the jaggery to melt and stir for two more minutes.
10. Switch off flame and garnish with fresh coconut gratings.