Puli Inji is one of the relishes served in the great Onam Sadya feast. The flavour of this relish is enough to stimulate a good appetite.The spicy and tangy puli inji complements the sweetish coconutty taste of the rest of the vegetable dishes served during the feast.
Peeled and chopped fresh ginger - 2 tbsps
Finely chopped green chillies - 2 tbsps
Tamarind - one plum size
Crushed jaggery - 2 tbsps
Salt - 1 1/2 tsp
Coconut oil - 2 tbsps
Mustard seeds- 1/4 tsp
Red Chillies - 2
Curry leaves - a few
Turmaric powder - 1 pinch
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
1. Dry roast asafoetida and fenugreek seeds till you get a pleasant aroma. Cool , powder and keep it aside.
2. Soak tamarind in warm water and extract a thick juice.
3. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
4. When the mustard splutters add the broken red chillies and curry leaves followed by the chopped fresh ginger and green chillies.
5. Saute till the ginger is fried and add turmeric powder.
6. Pour in the tamarind juice.
7. Add jaggery and salt. One pinch of chilly powder can be added if desired, to enrich the colour.
8. Cook till the puli inji becomes thick and switch off when the oil starts to separate.
9. Blend in the dry roasted and powdered asafoetida and fenugreek seeds.