Adhirasam is one of the most delicious sweets made out of jaggery and flour. Rice flour Adhirasams are slightly tricky to prepare. Much depends on the consistency and quantity of the jaggery syrup used to make the dough while the texture of the rice flour is also very important.
Here is a foolproof recipe to make delicious Adhirasams using wheat flour.
Wheat flour - 1 1/2 cups
Store bought rice flour - 1/2 cup
Powdered jaggery - 1 1/2 cups
Curds - 2 tbsps
Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
Oil - for frying
1. Sieve together wheat flour, rice flour and cardamom powder and keep aside.
2. Dissolve jaggery in 1 cup of warm water and filter.
3. Boil the jaggery water until you get a very pleasant aroma.( Thick syrup is not necessary )
4. Switch off flame.
5. Add the jaggery water to the sieved ingredients and mix well using a wooden spatula.
6. Stop adding jaggery water when the dough becomes soft enough to be patted into Adhirasams.
7. Add curds and mix the dough using your hand.
8. Cover with a lid and allow it to stand overnight.
9. Heat oil in a kadai
11. Pinch a ball of dough and place it on a greased banana leaf or a butter paper.
12. Pat the ball into a 1/4 inch thick circle not forgetting to grease your fingers as well.
13. Gently slide the patted dough into hot oil .
14. Flip the puffed up Adhirasam and cook on medium flame till it becomes deep brown in colour.
15. Press the puffed up Adhirasam to make it flat using the back side of the perforated ladle and remove from oil.
16. Press the Adhirasam on a paper towel or on a perforated plate to remove excess oil.