PACHAI MOCHAI SUNDAL
Avare kaalu ( field beans ) has already started flooding the market, while the season is still far away. The kaalu lovers of Karnataka are having a field day, and are already relishing a great variety of kaalu dishes.
Avare kaalu usli / Pachai mochai sundal is the highlight of Navaraatri prasaadams this year.
Fresh avare kaalu ( field beans ) - 2 cups
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1 pinch
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Split black gram dal - 1/2 tsp
Bengal gram dal - 1/2 tsp
Red chillies ( broken ) - 3
Curry leaves - a few
Juice of lime - 4 tbsps
Fresh coriander leaves ( chopped ) - 2 tbsps
Fresh coconut gratings - 4 tbsps
THIS WOODEN BOAT IS ALSO FROM KERALA.
1. Wash and cook kaalu ( field beans ) adding enough water so that the beans become soft but not mushy.
2. When the beans are soft add salt and cook for a few more minutes. Drain excess water if any.
3. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
4. When the mustard splutters add black gram dal and bengal gram dal and fry until they become golden in colour.
5. Add the broken red chillies and decrease flame.
6. Stir in asafoetida, turmeric powder and then the curry leaves.
7. Add the cooked kaalu/beans, mix well with the seasoning and cook till dry.
8. Add the lime juice and switch off flame.
9. Mix well and garnish with fresh coconut gratings and the fresh coriander leaves.
Offer the delicious Avare Kaalu Usli bursting with its distinct flavour to Mother Goddess and give away the prasaadam in banana leaf cups to the happy visitors. The banana leaf cups will enhance the flavour of the kaalu usli.