Aval Pittu does not involve steaming like other pittus and it can be prepared very easily.This is one of the delicious giveaway prasaadams which can be effortlessly prepared for Navaraatri.
PANRUTI IN TAMIL NAADU IS VERY FAMOUS FOR THE BRIGHT AND COLOURFUL CLAY DOLLS DISPLAYED IN KOLUS. IDOLS OF DEITIES AND DOLL SETS LIKE KALYAANA ( MARRIAGE ) SET, SETS DEPICTING TEMPLE CAR FESTIVALS, SETS WITH KRISHNA AND THE DANCING GOPIKAAS WHICH ARE INTRICATELY MADE REFLECTS THE ARTISAN'S IMAGINATION AND CREATIVITY. MIXING AND MATCHING THE DOLL SETS ADDS FUN AND A UNIQUE TOUCH TO THE KOLU.
THESE ARE PORCELAIN DASARA DOLLS PICKED UP IN A REMOTE VILLAGE OF TAMIL NAADU.THE PROPORTIONS OF THE ANIMALS AND THAT OF THE BIRDS ARE IRRELEVANT TO THE TOY MAKER AS WELL AS THE HOME MAKER WHO DISPLAYS THEM IN HER KOLU.
Hard beaten rice - 2 cups
Turmeric powder - 2 pinches
Salt - 1 tsp
Juice of one small lime
Oil - 2 tbsps
Ghee - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Broken red chillies - 3
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Curry leaves - a few
Bengal gram dal ( soaked till soft ) - 2 tbsps
1. Dry roast beaten rice till it becomes reddish brown in colour.
2. Grind the roasted beaten rice till it looks like sand and empty it on a deep plate.
3. Add a pinch of salt and turmeric powder to 1/2 a cup of boiling water .
4. Add this water little by little and moisten the roasted and ground beaten rice using your palm.
5. Cover it with a lid and allow it to soften for half an hour.
6. Mix the remaining turmeric powder and salt into the lime juice and keep it aside.
7. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
8. When the mustard seeds splutter add the broken red chillies, asafoetida and curry leaves.
9. Drain and add the presoaked bengal gram dal and saute till dry.
10. Add ghee, decrease flame and then pour the lime juice, salt and turmeric mixture into the seasoning.
11. Switch off flame and pour the whole seasoning on to the soaked beaten rice.
12. Blend everything together crumbling lumps if any.