Wednesday, December 28, 2011
FINGER FOOD FOR THE NEW YEAR PARTY
SPICY BANANA RINGS
Now that Christmas is over, everybody is geared up to usher in the New Year with new hopes, dreams and resolutions. Here we are, ready with a few Finger Foods to add spice and life to your New Year party.
Raw banana - 2 large
Green chillies - 3
Green coriander leaves - 1/2 bunch
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Pepper ( coarsely crushed) - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Fresh ginger - a big piece
Bengal gram flour ( Besan ) - 2 tbsps
salt - 3/4 tsp
Cooking oil - for seasoning and roasting
1. Wash and halve the bananas and pressure cook without adding water. Set aside to cool.
2. Peel and chop the ginger lengthwise into slender pieces resembling match sticks.
3. Grind green chillies,coriander and turmeric powder into a thick paste adding a few drops of water if required.
4. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan and add the crushed peppers and the cumin seeds.
5. When they crackle add asafoetida, besan and the ground paste at half minute intervals and saute together for two more minutes and switch off flame and then add the ginger.
6. Peel the cooked bananas and mash well.
7. Add the banana mash and salt to the sauteed paste.
8. Knead together into a thick dough.
9. Take a lemon size ball of the banana mixture and flatten it on your palm.
10. Make a hole in the center .
11. Arrange a batch of banana rings on a greased hot tava, pour a spoon of oil around each banana ring and roast on low flame.
12. Turn over and cook the flip sides of the banana rings till they become golden in colour.
Remove the Spicy Banana Rings on to a plate.
Enjoy the Spicy Banana Rings with tomato sauce, mint chutney or any other delicious dip of your choice.