Tuesday, December 20, 2011
SWEET MELANGE FOR A MERRY CHRISTMAS
Peanut Brittle is another avataar of the traditional Kadalaikai urundai ( Peanut laddoos ). The texture and the glassy look of this addictive sweet attract not only children but the grown ups too. A box of roasted and husked peanuts stored in your kitchen shelf will come in handy when you crave for an easy to make instant sweet.
Peanuts - 1 cup
Powdered jaggery - 1 cup
Butter - 1 tsp
1. Dry roast the peanuts on medium flame till they crack.
2. When they cool down rub the nuts between your palms to loosen out the skin .
3. Remove the husk and grind the clean peanuts into a very coarse powder using the blender.
4. Dissolve jaggery in one cup of water and filter it.
5. Spread a greased butter paper on a plate before you start cooking.Keep a greased spoon also ready.
6. Cook the jaggery water on low flame till the syrup reaches the hard ball stage. ( A drop of syrup should instantly harden when it touches cold water).
7. Add the butter,
and the powdered peanuts.
8.Stir till the mixture comes together into a mass.
9. Switch off flame.
10. Drop the mixture one spoon at at a time on the butter paper and flatten using the back of the greased spoon.
The brittle will immediately set.
Peel out the set Peanut Brittle from the butter paper and start munching on and on!