Fresh coriander - 1 bundle ( makes two loosely packed cups when chopped)
Red chillies - 5
salt - 2 tsps
Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Tamarind - 1 marble size ( soaked in 1/4 cup of warm water )
Jaggery - 1 tsp
Gingely oil - 2 tbsps
Mustard seeds - 1 pinch
1. Remove the roots and wash the fresh coriander thoroughly before chopping. The stems can also be used as it is good fibre and it also adds to the body of the finished dish.
2. Dry roast fenugreek seeds till brown in colour and add the red chillies to it.
3. Roast till the chillies are crisp and the fenugreek seeds become dark brown in colour.
4. Heat 1/4 tsp of oil in a pan and add asafoetida followed by the chopped fresh coriander.
5. Saute till the leaves wilt.
6. When the coriander cools down grind it with the roasted fenugreek seeds and red chillies, salt, tamarind and jaggery into a smooth paste. Add the water used for soaking the tamarind while grinding.
7. Heat the remaining oil in the pan and add mustard seeds.
8. When the mustard seeds splutter add the ground paste.
9. Keep stirring and cook till the oil separates.
This post goes to "Herbs and Flowers in my Platter" - Coriander leaves/Cilantro event in Krithi's Kitchen and here's the original event announcement in Seduce Your Taste Buds.