Thursday, April 12, 2012
POOSHANIKKAI HALWA TO CELEBRATE
VARUSHA PIRAPPU ( Tamil New Year's Day)
Here is an additional sweet which can be prepared along with the customary menu to celebrate Varusha Pirappu.
Wish you a very happy, peaceful and prosperous New Year.
Grated ash gourd - 2 cups
Milk - 1/2 cup
Water - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1 3/4 cups
Ghee - 2 tbsps
Cardamom - 2 ( Powdered with a small flake of edible camphor)
Almonds and raisins - for garnishing
1. Remove the peel of the ash gourd piece .
2. Grate the vegetable and squeeze out all the water.
3. Boil milk and water in a heavy bottomed pan and add the squeezed out gourd gratings.
4. Cook till the gratings are half done and almost dry.
5. Add sugar and cook till the sugar syrup becomes sticky.
6.When the halwa comes together and acquires the colour of honey, add the powdered cardamom and edible camphor, stir in one tbsp of ghee and remove from flame.
7. Blanch almonds, remove the skin and chop into thin slivers.
8. Fry almond slivers and raisins in the remaining ghee and pour over the Pooshanikkai Halwa.
Enjoy the warm Pooshanikkai Halwa with family and friends on the happy occasion.