Friday, June 1, 2012
CABBAGE AND PANEER MOMOS
Summer holidays for my grand children ! The home coming of my son and daughter-in-law from the other side of the globe! It was indeed celebration time! I am not exaggerating when I say that we were in the midst of a grand food festival for the whole of three weeks!
We enjoyed the family time together while we relished a lot of "yummy food" (restaurant food) and "mummy food " (home food) to quote my little grand-daughter who is showing signs of becoming a future Master Chef.
We enjoyed cooking together and tried out many new recipes which turned out to be great hits among all the members of our family. Here is one of the delicious dishes prepared by my daughter-in-law with the assistance of my grand daughter.
Cabbage leaves - 8
Milk - 1 litre
Curd - 2 tbsps
Finely chopped onions - 1/2 cup
Finely chopped capsicums - 1/2 cup
Finely chopped green chillies - 1/2 tsp
Finely chopped fresh ginger - 1/2 tsp
Butter - 2 tbsps
Salt - 3/4 tsp
Pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
1. Separate whole cabbage leaves carefully from a huge tender cabbage.
2. Wash and soak them in a bowl of warm water adding a pinch of salt.
TO MAKE PANEER
3. Boil the milk and stir in a table spoon of curd .
4. Keep boiling until the milk curdles using the remaining curd if needed.
5. Filter out the clear whey water using a strainer and let the paneer stand in the strainer.
TO MAKE THE FILLING
6. Heat butter and add the chopped green chillies and the ginger ( and crushed garlic if you like)
7. Add finely chopped onions and salt and saute till it becomes glassy.
8. Add the chopped capsicum and cook till half done.
9. Add the drained paneer and keep stirring till it becomes dry.
10. Mix in the pepper powder and keep aside.
TO MAKE THE MOMOS
11. Drain out the cabbage leaves and pat them dry.
12. Place a heaped table spoon of the prepared paneer curry in each cabbage leaf.
13. Fold like an envelope as shown in the following pictures.
14. Place each momo with the folded side down in the steamer.
15. Steam for ten minutes.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SOYA SAUCE DIP
Organic Tamari - 2 tbsps
Vinegar - 1 1/2 tsp
Finely chopped onion - 1/2 cup
Finely chopped green chillies - 1 tsp
Roasted and coarsely crushed ground nuts - 1 tbsp
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and relish with the 'yummy mummy' Cabbage And Paneer Momos!