Sunday, July 1, 2012
GOING BANANAS !
BANANA NUT CHOCOLATE
Banana halwa, banana paayasam and panchaamrutam are some of the banana sweets which we usually prepare at home. This time I wanted to make a 'cut and dry' sweet using ripe banana.
Irrespective of age, every one in our family is a chocoholic! Hence I decided to make banana chocolate, of course with a nutty sprinkle.
Mashed ripe banana - 1/2 cup
Coarsely powdered mixed nuts - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1 1/2 cups
Cocoa powder - 2 tbsps
Ghee - 2 tbsps
1. Peel, dice and roughly mash bananas using the back of a ladle.
2. Grind the nuts ( I have used almonds and walnuts ) into a coarse powder.
3. Heat one tablespoon of ghee in a kadai and add the mashed bananas.
4. Stir and cook till the banana pulp becomes dry and remove it on to a plate.
5. Mix sugar with one cup of water and boil it in the same kadai.
6. When the syrup reaches one string consistency add the banana pulp, coarsely powdered nuts and the cocoa powder.
7. Stir all the ingredients together and cook on medium flame.
8. Keep stirring till it becomes thick. The cooking chocolate should immediately harden when a drop comes in contact with cold water.
9. At this stage stir in the remaining one tablespoon of ghee, and immediately pour the molten chocolate on to a greased plate.
10. Mark into bars or squares using a sharp knife before it sets.
Cut out the 'cut and dry' Banana Nut Chocolate when it becomes hard and experience bliss as it melts in your mouth.