Monday, August 6, 2012
UDUPI KRISHNA'S FAVOURITES FOR
Appa is another sacred sweet offered to Sri Krishna at Udupi. It is customary to prepare godumai (wheat) appam for Kaartigai. This year I have decided to offer Appa , prepared with rice flour to celebrate Sri Krishna's Janmaashtami.
Rice flour - 1 cup
Crushed jaggery - 1/2 cup
Ripe bananas - 2 small
Fresh coconut ( Finely minced) - 2 tbsps
Cardamom powder - 1 pinch
1. Dissolve jaggery in half a cup of warm water, filter and cool.
2. Mash the bananas and add to the jaggery water.
3. Add cardamom powder and mix in the rice flour little by little to make a smooth and thick batter.
4. Add the minced coconut pieces to the batter and mix well.
5. Heat oil in the Appam pan.
6. Pour a ladle of batter in each hollow portion of the pan.
7. Cook till the Appa turns golden around the edges.
8. Use a spoon and flip the Appas when they start floating in the hot oil and cook till they become golden on all sides.
9. Carefully remove the Appas one by one and drain on a paper towel.
Offer the plump and delicious Appas to baby Krishna and enjoy the Prasaadam.