Once again it is Kaalu season! The Kaalu obsession has taken over the fanatics and we love to exploit its flavour in as many dishes as possible till the season lasts. I always wonder about how this simple and shiny green bean is capable of lending a magical aroma to any and every dish it touches! Even a simple straight forward Akki Uppittu is elevated to a star status when a handful of Kaalu is thrown in while cooking!
Raw rice - 1 cup
Cumin seeds - 1 tbsp
Field beans / Kaalu ( cooked till tender but not mushy) - 3/4 cup
Fresh grated coconut - 4 tbsps
Salt - 1 tsp
Sesame oil - 3 tbsps
Mustard seeds - 1 pinch
Black gram dal - 1 tsp
Bengal gram dal - 1 tsp
Broken red chillies - 3
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Curry leaves - a few
1. Dry grind raw rice using a mixer till it resembles Semolina.
2. Add the cumin seeds and run the mixer for another 10 seconds.
3. Heat the sesame oil in a heavy bottomed pan or kadai.
4. Add mustard seeds.
5. When the mustard seeds splutter add both the dals and fry till they turn golden in colour.
6. Add broken red chillies, lower the heat and roast till the chillies become crisp.
7. Add asafoetida followed by curry leaves and the cooked field beans.
8. Saute for two minutes and then add three cups of water, fresh coconut gratings, and salt to the seasoning and increase flame.
9. When the water starts boiling, gently add the broken rice and cumin seeds mixture.
10. Keep stirring till the broken rice is cooked and all the water is absorbed.
11. When the cooked Kaalu Uppittu comes together reduce flame and cover it with a lid.
12. Switch off flame when it is thoroughly done.
Enjoy the flavoursome Kaalu Uppittu as it is, or with any pickle of your choice, and a cup of thick curd.