We had to break our journey at a relative's place on our return trip after a great holiday. The hostess was my father's cousin and she made us very comfortable with her kind hospitality and treated us with a simple yet delicious dinner.
The flavoursome and delicious saaru / rasam she served us made us even more ravenous after the hectic journey.We hungrily waited for the next course, with rice already served on our plates.
Once again the hostess plunged the ladle into the same saaru vessel. Out came the ladle with a thick nuggekaayi bele huli / sambaar which we thoroughly enjoyed with the hot steaming rice!
It was amazing the way the flavoursome tili saaru / rasam and the thick delicious bele huli / sambaar were cooked together in one and the same dish!
Here is a recipe for Nuggekayi Tili Saaru.
Drumsticks - 2 ( cut into three inch pieces )
Tamarind - the size of a plum
Tomatoes - 2 halved
Salt - 3/4 tsp
Curry leaves - a few
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Coconut gratings - 2 tbsps
Pepper - 1 1/2 tsps
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1 pinch
Garlic - 2pearls
Ghee - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 pinch
Fresh coriander leaves - for garnishing
1. Soak tamarind and the halved tomatoes in boiling water.
2. Dry roast coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds and pepper till the pepper crackles.
3. Add cumin seeds and roast till you get a pleasant aroma.
4. Crush the dry roasted ingredients coarsely using a pestle.
5. Add the peeled garlic pearls to the coarse powder, pound together and keep it aside.
6. Squeeze the soaked tamarind and tomatoes, extract the juice and add enough water to make 2 glasses.
7. Add salt, asafoetida, curry leaves, fresh coconut gratings and the cut drumsticks to the juice and boil till the drumsticks are tender.
8. Stir in the pounded ingredients and immediately add one more glass of water in a slow stream so that a foam is formed on top of the saaru.
9. Add chopped coriander leaves, cover with a lid and allow it to simmer on low flame. \
10.Turn off flame before the saaru boils over.
11. Heat ghee and add the mustard seeds and pour the seasoning over the tili saaru when the mustard seeds crackle.
Enjoy the hot Nugge Kaayi Tili Saaru before starting your meal.