Monday, September 17, 2012
FRIED MODAKAM FOR GANESHA
Ganapati Homam/Havan is usually performed on any auspicious day, at the crack of dawn to get the blessings of the Lord who is the remover of all obstacles in life. His favourite Modakams are fried the previous evening so that they can be offered to Him in the early hours the specified day. Fried Modakams can also be offered to Lord Ganesha along with the usual steamed kozhukattais on Ganesha Chaturti day.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE OUTER COVERING
Plain flour / Maida - 1 cup
Fine Semolina - 2 tbsps
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Salt - 1/2 a pinch
TO MAKE THE DOUGH FOR THE OUTER COVERING
1. Mix all the ingredients together.
2. Knead into a smooth and soft dough by adding the required amount of water little by little.
3. Cover the dough and allow it to stand for at least one hour.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE THE SWEET FILLING
Dried coconut/ Copra/ Kobri (grated) - 1 cup
Jaggery (Crushed) - 1 cup
Cardamom - 2
TO MAKE THE SWEET FILLING
1. Grind all the ingredients together in a mixer till they come together as a ball of sweet filling / Pooranam.
TO MAKE THE MODAKAMS
1. Take a plum size ball of the dough and roll into a thin poorie.
2. Make a small ball using a tablespoon of the sweet filling (Pooranam) and place it in the centre of the poorie.
3. Gather the edges of the poorie like a bag with the filling inside, twist and press together to make a peak on top.
4. Make modakams similarly till the entire dough and the filling are used up.
5. Heat oil in a kadai.
6. Gently slide the Modakams one by one into the hot oil.
7. Decrease heat and fry on all sides turning them now and then using a perforated ladle.
8. When they look cooked increase heat and fry till the Modakams become crisp and golden in colour.
9. Remove the fried modakams using the perforated ladle and drain on a paper towel.
Offer the scrumptious Fried Modakams to Lord Ganesha and enjoy sharing the prasaadam.