Tuesday, January 8, 2013
Kadubu ( Pidi Kozhukattai in Tamil ) was an oft prepared traditional dish during our childhood days. And Kaalu was a must in the dish during the season. We relished the delicious 'Palagaaram' with our great grand mother who lived up to her 96th year. Now a days Kadubu /Pidi kozhukattai has become a rarity due to the hustle bustle of our daily routine. Children do not miss traditional dishes as they are overwhelmed by the multinational cuisines which are easily available now. But my grand children did enjoy the treat when I prepared Kaalu Kadubu for this Kaalu series!
I have used red rice for preparing a healthy variation of Kaalu Kadubu / Kaalu Kozhukattai.
Red rice - 2 cups
Field beans ( Cooked )- 1 cup
Cumin seeds - 1 tbsp
Fresh coconut gratings - 4 tbsps
Salt - 3/4 tsp
Sesame oil - 3 tbsps
Mustard seeds - 1/ 4tsp
Split black gram dal - 1/2 tsp
Bengal gram dal - 1/2 tsp
Red chillies ( broken ) - 3
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Curry leaves - a few
1. Grind red rice into a coarse powder resembling semolina.
2. Add cumin seeds and run the mixer for half a minute more.
3. Heat oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds.
4. When the mustard splutters add Black gram dal and the Bengal gram dal.
5. When the dals become golden in colour add broken red chillies, asafoetida and curry leaves.
6. Pour 4 cups of water into the seasoning and add the fresh coconut gratings, cooked Kaalu and salt.
7. When the water starts boiling lower the flame and gently add the broken rice and keep stirring to avoid lumps.
8. Increase heat and cook till the rice mixture comes together in a lump.
9. Grease the idly plates.
10. Wet your palms and scoop out a ball of the semi cooked rice mixture and shape it into a Kadubu / Kozhukattai.
11. Do not press too hard as it will make the Kadubu / Kozhukattai very hard.
12. Make all the Kadubus / Kozhukattais similarly, place them on idly plates and steam them in a pressure cooker for 15 minutes without the weight.
13. Open the lid when the steam has fully subsided. The Kadubus will tend to crumble when they are very hot. Carefully remove the Kaalu Kadubus / Kaalu kozhukattais and place them separately on a plate without piling them up together.
Top the flavoursome Kaalu Kadubu / Kaalu Kozhukattai with a spoon of fresh ghee and relish with Green Chilly Puli Kozhambu.