Sunday, January 6, 2013
When my children were still in school, Christmas holidays were filled with great fun and excitement. Inspired by the pleasant weather my husband came up with sudden picnic ideas which thrilled the children. Some times it would be to a definite picnic destination, and some other time it used to be a pleasant long drive on the state high way where in we explored new places of our own for picnicking. Though we liked carrying various Christmas goodies from Nilgiris, and a crate of Fanta from B.G.C.,we always preferred home cooked food for the main course. Since Kaalu was always handy during that season, many a time Kaalu pulav with a raita was voted for as our picnic lunch.
Basmati Rice - 2 cups
Field beans/Kaalu - 1 cup
Salt - 1 tsp
Onion ( peeled and chopped lengthwise)- 2 tbsps
Green chillies ( Slit )- 2
Fresh ginger ( Peeled and chopped lengthwise ) - 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Pepper - 1/4 tsp
Cinnamon 1'' stick - 2 numbers
Cardamon - 2
Cloves - 6
Turmeric powder - 1 pinch
Sesame oil - 2 tbsps
Curry leaves - a few
Finely chopped coriander leaves - 2 tbsps
Finely chopped mint leaves - 2 tbsps
1. Wash and drain the rice and keep it aside.
2. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed kadai.
3. Add cumin seeds, pepper corns, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom and fry till they pop up.
4. Add curry leaves, chopped onion, slit green chillies and ginger and saute till onion becomes pink in colour.
5. Stir in Kaalu.
6. Add turmeric powder and then the washed and drained rice and fry till the rice starts sticking to the kadai.
7. Add salt and 4 cups of water to the fried ingredients and stir well.
8. When the water starts to boil, cover the kadai with a lid and reduce flame to sim/low.
9. Open the lid after 15 minutes and stir the Pulav carefully (without mashing up the rice) for the even distribution of Kaalu and cover it again.
10. Switch off flame after five more minutes and your fragrant Kaalu Pulav is ready in 20 minutes.
11. Shower the Kaalu Pulav with finely chopped fresh coriander and mint leaves just before packing/ serving.
Enjoy the flavoursome Kaalu Pulav with onion and tomato raita.