Mor Nellikkai - Gooseberries Pickled In Curd

MOR NELLIKKAI 
AAMLA/GOOSEBERRIES IN CURD

Starting from Uttaana Dwaadashi my mother-in-law saw to it that Nellikkai / Amla was included in our daily menu as long as the gooseberry season lasted. She prepared Chutneys, Pickles, Pachchadies, Tokkus and Spicy Rice using the wonder berry which is filled with many essential nutrients beneficial to health. Of all the Nellikkai dishes prepared Mor Nellikkai was and is still my favourite. I love to start my meal with this delicious pickle mixed with at least one morsel of rice.

INGREDIENTS 


Gooseberries/ Nellikkai - 1/2 kg ( 25 numbers ) 
Curd - 3 cups 
Chilly powder - 2 tbsps 
Salt - 2 tbsps 
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp 
Asafoetida - 1 pinch 
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp 
Sesame oil - 3 tbsps 

TO BE POWDERED TOGETHER ( RAW )

Mustard seeds - 2tbsp 
Fenugreek seeds - 2 tbsp 

METHOD 

1. Wash and wipe the Nellikkais dry. 
2. Make small incisions between  the segments of the Nellikkai without cutting them into separate pieces. 
3. Heat sesame oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add the mustard seeds. 
4. When the mustard seeds splutter add asafoetida and the slit Nellikkai. 
5. Add half of the salt and stir well and lower the flame.
6. Cover it with a lid. The Nellikkai will release juice and cook in its own steam.  
7. Stir now and then to avoid burning. 
8.When the berries look slightly cooked  add chilly powder, turmeric powder and the remaining salt. 


9. Stir well for a couple of minutes until the raw smell is gone and switch off flame. 


10. Cool the pickle thoroughly and add whipped curd.


11. Add the raw mustard and fenugreek powder and mix well.


12. Store in a clean dry jar. 
Allow the berries to marinate in the spicy curd  for one day and then enjoy the Mor Nellikkai to your hearts content.

Comments

By the time I was done looking at your post, my mouth was watering and I wished we could find gooseberries in the U.S. I would just have them with chilli powder and salt. The pickle is awesome.

Thank you Srimathi. How about substituting Tomatillos for gooseberries?
Priya Suresh said…
Wish i get this much fresh gooseberries, mouthwatering here.aking
Lakshmi said…
I have never tried this before. I have 5 gooseberries at home now, thinking of making with it.
Unknown said…
very nice maam... will surely try at home and let u know
AJ said…
Delicious!! perfect combo - if only I could get my hands on some gooseberries here!!
Jayashree said…
Chitra amma, how long will this stay good?
Dear Jayashree,

I remember my grand mother storing this pickle in a big jadi with its mouth covered with a piece of cloth.
I prepared about one kg and it was good for about three weeks( we had finished it by that time!) under refrigeration.
Jayashree said…
Chitramma, I made this today and absolutely love it.....in fact, I ate it with rice just now for lunch without waiting for it to marinate.
Jayashree said…
Here's a link to my post on this dish. http://luvgoodfood.blogspot.in/2013/03/gooseberries-steeped-in-spiced-curd-mor.html
Thank you for sharing a keeper recipe.