Thursday, February 28, 2013
Eating a bitter gourd preparation at the start of a meal helps to activate the digestive juices resulting in good digestion. I prepare sambar, koottu, gojju or curry using Paavakka (bitter gourd) very often, for its various health benefits. Occasionally I love to pamper the taste buds with PaavakkaVaruval (Bitter Gourd Chips) too.
Bitter Gourd - 4
Salt - 1 tsp
Sambar powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1 pinch
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Gram flour (Besan) - 2 tsps
Rice flour - 2 tsps
Oil - for frying
1. Wash, wipe and cut bitter gourd into moderately thin slices.
2. Remove the seeds if they are hard.
3. Spread the cut slices on a towel so that all the moisture is absorbed.
4. Mix all the powders and the bitter gourd slices together in a dry bowl. Let this mixture be absolutely dry.
5. Heat a table spoon of oil and mix into the bitter gourd mixture.
6. Take a handful of the vegetable mixture and sprinkle into hot oil.
7. Fry batch by batch on medium flame till they become crisp.
Enjoy the spicy and mildly bitter Paavakka Varuval with a hot meal.