Sunday, May 19, 2013
CARROT SPRINGS PASTA IN TOMATO SAUCE
D2 was experimenting with all the cutters and graters which I had not used for a very long time. After a little practice she was able to make beautiful carrot 'springs' using a particular grater which Dibs had bought for me long time ago. D2 was so much involved in the procedure that she forgot to stop until she had made a mound of beautiful carrot springs! Since the 'mound' looked very much like pasta we decided to cook it with pasta and call it Carrot Springs Pasta. This is how we prepared it.
Pasta - 150 gms
Salt - 1 pinch
Carrots - 150 gms ( Peeled and grated into springs)
Olive oil - 2 tbsps
Crushed pepper - 1/2 tsp
Crushed garlic - 1/2 tsp
1. Boil one liter of water with a pinch of salt and one tbsp of olive oil in a large vessel.
2. Add the pasta and cook till soft but not mushy, stirring now and then.
3. Drain the pasta and keep aside.
4. Heat one tbsp of olive oil in a pan and add the crushed pepper.
5. When the pepper gives out a good aroma add the crushed garlic.
6. Add the carrot springs and gently toss till al dente and keep aside.
FOR THE PASTA SAUCE
Olive oil - 1 tbsp
Finely chopped onion - 2 tbsps
Tomatoes - 6 ( Chopped)
Crushed garlic - 1 tsp
Red chillies - 3
Peeled and crushed fresh ginger - 1tsp
Salt - 1 tsp
Sugar - 3/4 tsp
TO MAKE THE SAUCE
7. Blend the chopped tomatoes with garlic, red chillies, ginger, salt and sugar in a mixer.
8. Heat oil in a pan and saute the chopped onion till it becomes soft.
9. Add the tomato blend and cook till it thickens into a sauce.
10. Add the pasta sauce to the cooked pasta and sauteed carrot springs and gently coat each and every strand using a spatula.