Tuesday, June 18, 2013
PUDINA KOLLU CHUTNEY
Kollu or Horse gram is said to have various health benefits. Kollu is effective in weight management and in balancing cholesterol levels. It is also administered to alleviate kidney stones and to lower glycemic levels.But it is best to take an Ayurvedic doctor's advice before using Kollu as medicine. However including Kollu now and then in one's diet is beneficial for an overall well being. A spicy and nutty Pudina Kollu Chutney with hot rice is an ideal meal for a cold and rainy day.
Horse gram/Kollu - 1/2 cup
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Black gram dal - 1 tsp
Bengal gram dal - 1 tsp
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Red chillies - 4
Sesame oil - 1 tsp
Tamarind - a plum size ball
Salt - 1 tsp
Mint leaves/ Pudina - 1 bunch
1. Remove the roots and wash Pudina/mint thoroughly.
2. Heat sesame oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
3. When the seeds splutter add Black gram dal and Bengal gram dal and roast till they turn slightly golden in colour.
4. Add Kollu/Horse gram and keep roasting till they crack.
5. Now add red chillies and asafoetida and roast till the chillies become crisp.
6. Lower the flame, add Pudina and stir till the leaves wilt.
7. Switch off flame, shred tamarind and drop it into the seasoning so that it becomes soft.
8. Add salt and grind all the ingredients together into a slightly coarse and thick Chutney adding little water.
Enjoy the spicy and flavoursome Pudina Kollu Chutney with steaming hot rice topped with a spoon of fresh ghee.