Tuesday, July 30, 2013
DRY FRUIT AND NUT PAYASAM /HARIRA
The news paper supplement was loaded with various recipes for the Ramadan festival. The milk drink savoured to break the fast at dusk, seemed rich delicious and festive. Harira is a nourishing drink with almonds, cashew nuts and dry coconut paste boiled along with milk and sugar. It boosts up the energy level after the fast.
Here is the recipe for Dry Fruit and Nut payasam which is my version of Harira.
Milk - 4 cups
Almonds - 12
Cashew nuts - 1 tbsp
Fresh coconut gratings or coconut pieces - 1 tbsp
Dry dates ( pitted) - 1 tbsp
Raisins - 1 tbsp
Rice flour - 1 tsp
Powdered palm jaggery or Powdered palm candy - 2 tbsps
Cardamom powder - 1 pinch
Saffron strands - 1 pinch
1. Cover the almonds, cashew nuts, dates and raisins in warm water and soak for an hour.
2. Peel the skin of almonds.
3. Grind the blanched almonds, cashew nuts, coconut, dates, raisins and the rice flour into a fine paste adding little water.The addition of rice flour will prevent the milk from curdling.
4. Boil milk in a heavy bottomed vessel and gently add the ground paste to it.
5. Keep stirring gently to avoid lumps and burning.
6. Add the powdered palm jaggery or the palm candy and continue to cook for two more minutes.Palm jaggery and palm candy have many health benefits, besides relieving dry coughs,
7. Add the powdered cardamom and the saffron strands.
Enjoy the hot glass of Dry Fruit And Nut Payasam garnished with a few blanched almond slivers.