Modakam, kadubu, kudumulu, sweet momos, pithe and kozhukattais are all sweet delicacies prepared using rice flour, jaggery and coconut. Elai Adai or leaf pancake which comes from God's Own Country (Kerala) is a variation of the ambrosial kozhukattai offered to Lord Ganesha. This delicious sweet is prepared using the same heavenly combination of ingredients and cooked in a banana leaf (elai) parcel. "Kozhukattai by any other name would taste as delicious" indeed!
TO PREPARE THE SWEET FILLING
1. Add a spoon of water to the crushed jaggery and coconut, and cook on low flame.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SAVOURY FILLING
Split Black gram dal - 1 cup
TO PREPARE THE SAVOURY FILLING
1. Soak black gram dal and red chilly together for half an hour and drain.
TO PREPARE THE BATTER
1. Soak the rice for three hours.
TO PREPARE THE BANANA LEAF
1. Slit a broad banana leaf in the middle along the central vein.
8. Place the steamer inside the cooker and steam for 15 minutes without the weight.