Wednesday, February 26, 2014
INSTANT PULI AVAL MIX
Puli Aval is the customary food offering prepared for the Lord during Mahashivaratri. This simple and easy to prepare dish is made even more easy with the Instant mix. This is my sister-in-law's recipe. It comes in handy as a quick, healthy, filling and very tasty meal for my nephew who is a student in a far off country away from sweet home.
Beaten rice / Aval ( Hard ) - 4 cups
Tamarind - 1 plum size ball
Salt - 1 1/2 tsps
FOR THE SPICE POWDER
Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp
Red chillies - 2
Bengal gram dal - 1 tbsp
Split black gram dal - 1 tsp
Pepper - 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1 pinch
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Curry leaves - a few
FOR THE SEASONING
Sesame oil - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Split black gram dal - 1/2 tsp
Bengal gram dal - 1/2 tsp
Peanuts - 2 tbsps
TO PREPARE THE SPICE POWDER
1. Dry roast coriander seeds, Bengal gram dal, black gram dal, pepper, cumin seeds, red chillies and fenugreek seeds till you get a pleasant aroma.
2. Add asafoetida and curry leaves and roast till dry.
3. Remove fiber from the tamarind, shred it to small bits and dry roast it separately till it becomes almost dry. It will turn very dry and crisp on cooling.
4. When all the ingredients are cooled grind them together into a fine powder.
TO PREPARE THE BEATEN RICE
1. Dry roast the hard beaten rice till it starts popping. Use low flame so that it does not get burnt.
2. Cool the roasted beaten rice well and then give it only one swish in the mixer. The beaten rice when broken should resemble semolina grains.
3. Remove from the mixer and mix the spice powder and salt into the broken beaten rice using a spatula.
TO SEASON THE MIX
1. Spread out the spiced up broken beaten rice on a plate and add the turmeric powder on top.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
3. When it splutters add the Bengal gram dal and black gram dal.
4. When the dals start turning to a golden colour add the peanuts and roast till they crack.
6. Mix all the ingredients together.
7. Store in an air tight jar for future use.
TO MAKE PULI AVAL
Add one volume of boiling water to one volume of Instant Puli Aval Mix , cover with a lid and allow it to stand for 15 minutes.
Fluff up the deliciously fragrant Puli Aval using a fork and enjoy with a cup of cool yogurt.