Sunday, February 16, 2014
LACTATION COOKIES -
NUTRITIOUS COOKIES FOR ONE AND ALL !
My daughter-in-law is proficient in baking. We have enjoyed her cakes, muffins, scones and cookies with tea after our long walks in the cold winter afternoons. She obtained the recipe of this healthy and nutritious cookie from one of the new moms she met at the New Moms Group meeting. I learnt that brewer's yeast, oats and flax seeds are lactogenic ingredients and that they help considerably in increasing the breast milk. Hence they are also known as Lactation Cookies. I stood watching while she prepared the yummy cookies and scribbled down the procedure, while the rest of the family helped in clicking the pictures.
Whole oats - 1 3/4 cups
Whole wheat flour - 1 3/4 cups
Brewer's yeast - 3 tbsp
Flax seeds - 1 cup ( powdered )
Baking soda - 1 tsp
Salt - 1 tsp
Peanut butter - 3/4 cup
Butter - 1/2 cup
Cinnamon powder - 1 tsp
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Agave syrup - 1/2 cup
Vanilla essence - 2 tsps
Chocolate chips - 2 cups
Nuts and raisins - 2 cups
1. Dry roast Oats on low flame till it emanates a pleasant flavour and allow it to cool.
2. Add 2 tbsps of water to 2 tbs of flax powder to make a smooth paste and keep it aside. ( This paste was used instead of egg. )
2. Mix wheat flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon powder together and keep aside.
3. In another bowl blend butter, sugar, agave syrup, vanilla essence, brewer's yeast and flax powder adding little water or milk until it turns creamy. ( As my daughter-in-law did not want to use too much of sugar she used half sugar and half agave syrup. )
4. Mix in the flax paste.
5. Add the wheat flour mixture to the above and blend well.
6. Mix in the chocolate chips / nuts and raisins.
7. Finally add oats and mix well.
8. Pinch out lemon size balls from the dough and slightly flatten them into cookies.
9. Place the cookies on a greased baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes in a preheated ( 350 Degrees F) oven . Cool the cookies and store in a clean airtight jar.
Lactating or not , this is a delicious 'must savour ' cookie to be enjoyed by one and all . We did !