Sunday, March 30, 2014
ONDELAGA KHEER FOR HAPPY UGADI
Ondelaga ( Centella asiatica) also known as Saraswathi Soppu is a medicinal herb which has numerous therapeutic properties. The creeper gives out single leaves on long stems and hence the name Ondelaga ( meaning one leaf or single leaf ). I have heard this herb being recommended for children to improve their cerebral health and memory power. Known as Vallarai keerai in Tamil it is also used for culinary purposes. Chutny, dal , and tambli are the dishes usually prepared using Ondelaga / Vallarai. I was surprised and even thrilled when my sister-in-law prepared a delicious Kheer using Ondelaga ! It is a delightful dessert when served warm, and a refreshing cool drink when chilled.
Centella / Ondelaga - One bunch
Milk - 2 cups
Soaked rice - 1 tsp
Fresh grated coconut - 2 tbsps
Cashew nuts or blanched almonds( optional ) - 4 or 5
Powdered jaggery - 2 tbsps
Cardamom powder - 1 pinch
1. Wash the Ondelaga leaves thoroughly along with the tender stems.
2. Grind the washed herb with coconut gratings, soaked rice and the nuts ( addition of nuts makes the kheer creamy and thick) into a smooth paste adding little water if necessary.
3. Boil the milk for two minutes.
4. Stir in the ground paste and cook for two more minutes.
5. Blend in powdered jaggery and switch off flame.
6. Finally add the powdered cardamom.
Start the New Year with the healthy and delicious Ondelaga Kheer either warm or chilled.
WISH YOU A VERY VERY HAPPY UGADI.