Wednesday, April 16, 2014
CAPSICUM AND FLAX SEEDS
A traditional South Indian meal - whether breakfast, lunch or dinner - is not complete without chutney. Even tea time snacks known as tiffin taste more delicious when accompanied by a chutney. Apart from the traditional coconut chutney my family loves to relish chutneys prepared using a variety of vegetables. Capsicum and flax seeds chutney is a healthy variation and it tastes good with steaming hot rice. It can be relished with all tiffin items. It serves as a good bread spread as well.
Green Capsicums - 3
Bengal gram dal - 1 tsp
Split black gram dal - 1 tsp
Flax seeds - 1 tbsp
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Red chillies - 2
Sesame oil - 2 tsps
Tamarind - 1 marble size ball
Salt - 1/2 tsp
1. Wash and cut capsicums into cubes after removing the seeds.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add the Bengal gram dal and split black gram dal.
3. Fry till the dals turn golden in colour and immediately throw in the red chillies followed by asafoetida.
4. Add the flax seeds and allow to splutter.
5. Stir in the capsicum pieces and saute till tender.
6. Allow to cool .
7. Blend the sauteed ingredients with tamarind and salt till it becomes a smooth chutney.
8. Garnish with a spoon of finely minced raw capsicum to add texture and a delicious crunch to the chutney.
Enjoy the healthy and delicious Capsicum and Flax seeds Chutney with your favourite meal.