Thursday, September 25, 2014
MINI VEGETABLE ADAIS
My four year old grand daughter is a great foodie though she eats only very little at a time. She can instantaneously tell 'yummy food' from 'yucky food' from a large spread of dishes! She is an ardent fan of 'Master Chef'' and even suggests ideas to her mother on how to make a dish more 'yummy'! My daughter packs her lunch box with the dish the child chooses for the day. She likes to sneak in as many vegetables as possible in all the dishes she prepares for the child.Mini Idlies, Mini Dosais and Mini Adais suit her lunch box , as they are easy to handle and less messy. Adais are prepared by soaking a mixture of dals with rice which make them highly nutritious, delicious and also gluten free. The addition of vegetables make them wholesome and even more nutritious.
Here is my grand daughter's favourite lunch box food - Colourful Mini Vegetable Adais .
INGREDIENTSRice - 1 cup
Split pigeon peas/ Tur dal - 1/2 cup
Bengal gram dal - 1/2 cup
Split Black gram dal - 2 tbsps
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Fresh ginger - 1'' piece
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Red chillies - 2
Salt - 3/4 tsp
Curry leaves - a few
TO MAKE THE BATTER
1.Soak the dals and rice with red chillies for one hour.
2. Add all the other ingredients and grind into a coarse and moderately thick batter. The ground grains should have the coarseness of semolina. The batter should be of Idly batter consistency.
3. This batter can be used immediately or can be stored in the refrigerator for the next morning.
Beetroot - Pressure cook one whole beetroot, peel , grate and keep aside.
Fresh carrot - Peel and grate one big carrot and keep aside.
Finely minced cabbage - Boil a fistful of minced cabbage with 1/2 a pinch of salt for one minute. Drain and keep aside.
Fresh coriander leaves - Finely minced.
TO MAKE THE ADAIS
Take three portions of the batter in three different bowls.
Mix the grated beetroot to one portion.
Mix grated carrot to the second portion.
Mix blanched cabbage and minced fresh coriander to the third portion.
1. Grease and heat a tava.
2. Take a scoop of batter and pour it on the hot tava and spread into a thick Adai.
3. Spread one scoop of batter from each portion into similar circles.
4. Dribble ghee around each Adai, cover and cook on low flame.
5. Remove the lid and flip the Adais.
6. Cook till both sides of the Adai are done.
Allow to cool . Pack the colourful and nutritious Adais for your little one and do not forget to send along a bottle of fresh fruit juice , to wash down the Adais.