Friday, October 10, 2014
My grand daughter likes the Tava Pulav prepared at Shanthi Sagar which is one of her favourite food joints. Yesterday when she dropped in for lunch I decided to prepare her favourite Tava Pulav using the ingredients readily available at home. My tava was not large enough to prepare the quantity required for the family. Since I used my Bandli / kadai to prepare the Tava Pulav, we playfully named it as "Bandli Pulav"!
Rice - 2 cups ( I used Sona Masuri )
Juicy Tomatoes ( chopped) - 2 cups
Carrots ( grated ) - 1/2 cup
Tender Kohlrabi / Knolkhol ( grated )- 1/2 cup
Green Capsicum ( minced ) - 1/2 cup
Onion ( minced ) - 1/2 cup
Salt - 2 tsps
Sambar powder - 1 1/2 tsps
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon,cardamom and cloves ( powdered together ) - 1 tsp
Ginger and garlic ( ground) - 1 tsp
Fresh coriander leaves ( chopped ) - 2 tbsps
Cooking oil - 2 tbsps
1. Pressure cook rice with exactly 4 cups of water and allow to cool.
2. Heat oil in the bandli and add the cumin seeds.
3. Add the ground ginger and garlic and saute .
4.Now add minced onion and fry till it turns pink in colour.
5. Add the chopped juicy tomatoes followed by sambar powder and salt.
6. Cover and cook till the tomatoes become pulpy, stirring now and then.
7. Add the grated and minced vegetables.
8. Cook till the vegetables are done.
9.Add the powdered spices ( you may even add half a spoon of Pav Bhaji masala at this stage) and cook for one more minute. Add coriander leaves and switch off flame.
10. Fluff up the cooked rice and add it to the cooked vegetable gravy.
11. Mix well until each and every grain of rice is coated with the gravy.
Enjoy the hot and flavoursome "Bandli Pulav" with onion and cucumber raita.
I am happy to announce that I have been chosen as the Bawarchi of the Week. Here are the links :