Thursday, July 2, 2015
A PICNIC TO CATTAI
BAKED JOLADA ROTTI ENSEMBLE !
Long drives! Picnics! Delicious and innovative dishes prepared by Dibs! These have always been the highlights of my Sydney visits ! Our latest picnic destination was Cattai National Park.
Cattai National Park is a beautiful reserve forest along the Hawkesbury river in New South Wales. It is densely vegetated with varieties of giant trees belonging to the Eucalypt family, and other evergreen trees and foliage. As we zoomed through , we peered out hoping to spot the hidden wild life . The first encounter we had was with a fox with a shimmering golden brown coat which crossed the road as we entered the park. Pacific Black ducks, Purple Swamp Hens and other water fowls thronged the wharf.
A sort of dense silence prevailed in spite of the screeching Noisy Miners. Dibs spotted a Rozella and Rainbow Parakeets fluttered everywhere. There were different species of cockatoos too.Though it is winter there was enough sunshine, and we were comfortable enough to walk and enjoy the beauty of the park.
The walking trails lead us through bushes and shrubs where we were taken by surprise by herds and herds of Wallabies.
We silently jumped with excitement when we saw a herd wallowing in the sun.
We clicked and clicked our cameras and mobiles until they slowly disappeared into the bushes as if they were tired of posing !
Finally we were very hungry when we reached the picnic area, ready to wolf down the surprise meal assembled by the dynamic Dibs, on the spot !
This is how the ensemble looked !
And now for the recipe -
INGREDIENTS FOR SWEET POTATO SPREAD
Sweet Potatoes - 4 big
Gram flour / Besan - 2 tbsps
Ghee - 2 tbsps
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder - 1/4 tsp
Cumin powder - 1/4 tsp
Pepper powder - 1 pinch
1. Wash, peel, cook and mash the sweet potatoes smoothly.
2. Heat ghee, add Besan and roast till it emanates a pleasant aroma.
3. Mix in the rest of the spice powders and salt.
4. Finally add the sweet potato mash and stir the 'spread' till it comes together into a ball.
Store in a clean and dry box.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE ROTTI
Sorghum flour/ Jolada hittu - 4 cups
Rajgira flour - 1 cup
Salt - 1 tsp
Sweet potato spread -2 tbsp
Ghee - 2 tbsps
1. Mix Sorghum / Jola flour, Rajgira flour and salt together with the sweet potato spread.
2. Add boiling water little by little and mix the dough till it comes together. Use a wooden spoon or spatula for mixing.
3.Cover and leave it aside till it cools down. When the dough is comfortable enough to handle , knead it into a smooth dough adding ghee. Allow to stand for about ten to fifteen minutes.
4. Cover a baking tray with a sheet of foil and grease it with ghee.
5. Place the big ball of dough in the middle of the sheet.
6. Roll out evenly, a huge 1/8 inch thick Rotti using a rolling pin.
7. Smear some ghee all over the big rectangular Rotti and bake till it becomes golden
Allow to cool and cut the Baked Jolada Rotti into rectangular pieces and store in a clean dry box.
Spread a spoon of Sweet Potato Spread on a piece of baked Jolada Rotti .
Top it with a slice of tava roasted Halloumi Cheese and baked baby potatoes.
Besides Onion slices, Tomato rings and cut Cucumber pieces , place a large serving of assorted green leaves salad and pickled jalapenos on the side !