Sunday, September 27, 2015
LEMONY VAZHAIKAI PORIAL
The versatile Vazhaikai / Raw Banana can be cooked into various mouth watering dishes, especially the Porial varieties. Vazhaikai Porial seasoned with lime is a delicious variation which is very easy to prepare. Though I prepare this Porial often I realized that I had not posted the recipe yet. Here is the recipe for the Lemony Vazhaikai Porial.
Raw bananas - 3
Sesame oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Split Black gram dal - 1/2 tsp
Split Bengal gram dal - 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Broken red chillies - 2
Curry leaves - a few
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - 3/4 tsp
Lime - 1
1. Chop and discard both the ends of the Vazhaikais and cut each one across into two or three pieces.
2. Cover with water and cook till the pieces are done. (Insert the tip of a knife into the white portion to check if it is cooked. The banana should not become mushy.)
3. Drain the cooked banana pieces and peel the skin.
4. Allow the peeled banana to cool down so that it is completely dry before grating.
5. Gently grate the cooled banana pieces (in one direction only) using a grater to retain the shape similar to that of long grain rice.
6.Heat oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds.
7.When the mustard seeds splutter add the dals, and fry till they are golden in colour.
8.Add the broken red chillies followed by asafoetida, turmeric powder and curry leaves.
9. Add salt, squeeze in the juice of lime and switch off flame.
10. Mix in the grated bananas gently into the seasoning and garnish with coriander leaves.
A delicious LEMONY VAZHAIKAI PORIAL is ready to be served.