Tuesday, January 12, 2016
KARIDA AVARE / FRIED FIELD BEANS
Karida Avare or Fried Beans is a popular winter savoury snack prepared during the Kaalu or Bean season.The indulgence of the people of Bengalooru is such that the prices of all other vegetables crash during the Avare Kaalu / Field Bean season. Avare Kaalu is used in almost all dishes as they are, or in the squeezed form through out the season.The beans are soaked overnight.Then they are pinched or squeezed ( This process is called as Hitukodu in Kannada) one bean at a time enabling the bele / lentil to jump out of its skin. The bele / lentil thus obtained is known as Hituku Bele or Squeezed out lentil. Hituku Bele is now readily available in the market which saves a lot of time and labour for the connoisseur. This squeezed out lentil or Hituku Bele is used to prepare the savoury snack known as Karida Avare.
Hituku Bele / Squeezed Bean - 1/2 Kg
Oil for frying
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Broken Red Chillies - 4
Curry leaves - a few
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Ghee or Coconut oil - 2 tsps
Sambar Powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1 pinch
Salt - 1/2 tsp
1. Spread the Hituku Bele on a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
2. Heat oil in a kadai and fry one fistful of Bele at a time on medium flame.
3. Remove when the oil stops bubbling vigorously and till the lentils become crisp.
4. Drain the fried lentils on a paper towel.
5. Spread the fried lentils on a shallow plate and add sambar powder, turmeric powder and salt on the top.
6. Heat ghee/coconut oil and add mustard seeds.
7. When the mustard seeds splutter add the broken red chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida.
8. Pour the seasoning over the spice powders.
9. Mix in the seasoning with the fried Bele /lentil using a clean and dry hand.
Store in an air tight container after the Karida Avare cools down.
Enjoy the crunchy Karida Avare any where, any time, with hot coffee!