Saturday, February 27, 2016
Summer is the time when our appetite goes down especially for spicy curries. Thair Pachadis or yogurt based cold salads are ideal side dishes for hot days. Thair Pachadi not only soothes the parched tongue but also cools down the entire digestive system. Adding Boondi (fried droplets of batter) to the Pachadi makes it more delicious and nutritious.
Though store bought Boondies will serve the purpose, home made Boondies are best. Boondies can be prepared in bulk and stored in airtight containers so that they can be utilized whenever required.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE BOONDI
Bengal gram flour/ Besan - 2 cups
Rice flour - 1 tbsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Chilly powder - 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Oil for frying
1.Thoroughly mix all the ingredients together adding one spoon of hot oil.
2. Add water little by little and make a smooth and thick batter similar to dosa batter.
3. Heat oil in a kadai.
4. Hold a large perforated ladle (known as jarini in Tamil), about 4 to 5 inches above the hot oil.
5. Pour one ladle of batter on the perforated jarini and gently tap the rim using a spoon so that the batter falls in small droplets (boondies) into the hot oil.
6. The boondis will rise to the top immediately. Reduce flame and fry them till they stop sizzling and turn into a golden brown colour.
7. Remove the cooked boondies using another perforated ladle and drain them on a paper towel.
Cool and store the boondies in a clean dry box .
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE BOONDI THAIR PACHADI
Boondies - 1 cup
Finely chopped red tomatoes - 1 cup
Grated carrot - 1/2 cup
Thick curd/yogurt (Chilled) - 2 cups
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Chopped Coriander - for garnishing
Ghee - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
1. Soak boondi in warm water till the other ingredients get ready.
2. Combine chopped tomatoes, grated carrot, coriander leaves and salt with yogurt.
3. Squeeze out the now softened boondies and add to the yogurt mixture.
5. Splutter mustard seeds and cumin seeds in hot ghee and garnish the Boondi Thair Pachadi.
Boondi Thair Pachadi is a good side dish for all varieties of rice and rotis. A bowl of Boondi Thair Pachadi is a wholesome snack for a hot and sultry afternoon.