Manga Tokku - Mango Relish or Pickle

MANGA TOKKU 
After the Ugadi feast I was still left with a few raw mangoes in my refrigerator. Since they were nice and firm I decided to use them to make Tundu Manga Ooruga. As I started washing the mangoes the thought of the spicy Manga Tokku I had relished in my younger days flashed in my mind. My  mother prepared the most delicious  Manga Tokku and stored it in a huge Jadi 
( Jar )which was stacked away in the store room with other Ooruga jadis (Pickle Jars). She brought out only one cup of Tokku at a time to be used during our meals expecting it to last for the week.As a teenager  I was so addicted to eating Tokku Sadam (Tokku mashed with steaming hot rice) at the beginning of every meal that the cup of Tokku did not last even for three days! I wonder how I could devour that amount of spicy Manga Tokku without any side effects in those days!


INGREDIENTS
Fresh and firm Raw Mangoes - 2 ( It gave 2 full cups of Mango gratings)
Sesame oil - 4 tbsps
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida - one big pinch
Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp 
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Chilly Powder - 2 tbsp
Salt - 2 tbsp
METHOD
1. Wash, peel and grate the raw mangoes and keep aside.
2. Dry roast the fenugreek seeds until it turns dark in colour emanating a very pleasant aroma.
3. Powder the roasted fenugreek seeds  using a mortar and pestle. 
4. Heat oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds.
5. When the mustard seeds splutter add asafoetida followed by the grated mangoes.
6. Add turmeric powder and salt.
7. Cook on medium flame stirring now and then till the oil separates.
8. Add the chilly powder which will absorb all the oil.
9. Keep stirring so that the Tokku does not get burnt till the oil once again separates.

 
10. Mix in the roasted and powdered fenugreek seeds.

 
Cool the Tokku and store in a clean and dry glass jar.
Enjoy the heavenly Manga Tokku with curd rice, adais and dosas. You can even use it as a bread spread.

Comments